Some Words on Cool Breathing
Why is Breathing Cool?
It Keeps Us Alive!
There are several reasons why breathing is important.
First, it's the key to every human being's survival to sustain life. Our breathing system supplies oxygen to vital organs of the body so they can function properly and keep us alive.
Secondly, breathing is one means to get rid of waste products and toxins from the body.
Benefits of Proper Breathing
1) Lower your stress levels
2) Reduces the damaging effects of stress
3) Keeps you relaxed and free from anxiety
How to Start Benefiting from Effective Breath Work
Start with "deep breathing." Here's a simple, yet effective step-by-step by Harvard Medical School to show you how to practice deep breathing.
1) Find a quiet, comfortable place to sit or lie down.
2) Close your eyes, sit comfortably with your back straight and take a normal breath
3) Now take a deep breath lasting 5-6 seconds. Breathe in slowly through your nose, let your chest and lower belly epand as you fill your lungs with the air. Let your abdomen expand fully.
4) Hold on to it for just a few seconds.
5) Now breathe out SLOWLY through your mouth, again lasting 5-6 minutes.
6) Continue the process.
And now try to observe the rhythm of your body as you go about breathing. Put one hand on your abdomen, just below your belly buttom. Feel your hand rise about an inch each time you inhalee and fall an inch each time your exhale. Remember to relax your belly so that each inhalation expands it fully.
7) Repeat the process.
Only, now you should blend deep breathing with something that will help you relax and focus. It can be an image (the beach or hiking), or a scene from your favorite movie or perhaps even a quote or phrase.
Deep breathing, at first, can be quite challenging and you may not feel it very relaxing. But with some practice you will get used to it and it will get easier from then on.